Workplace Safety Checklist
A workplace safety checklist ensures safety within the workplace premise and also outside it. Thus, maintaining such a checklist is of utmost importance. Safety of your employees must be on the top priority, as it is the best way of ensuring regularity in productivity. As all the safety points cannot be remembered by one person, a checklist, helps in keeping the entire administration staff in the loop. This eases the burden and makes the task of adhering to safety rules clearer to understand.
Workplace Safety Reminders
- Are the staircases, railings, landings in clean and safe conditions?
- Are these areas well-lit?
- In case of no electricity, will the light fixtures have a generator backup?
- Has the housekeeping staff kept the storage in order to allow easy navigation and prevent any mishaps?
- Does the furniture require any repairs and is it in a good state?
- Does any piece of furniture require a replacement?
- Are all the exits well identified and well light?
- Are all the paths leading to the exits clear and devoid of any obstacles?
- Do the emergency exits have proper, readable instructions?
- Is the fire exit operational?
- Has the staff been provided enough training?
- Does the water hydrant have enough water in case of a fire emergency?
- Are all the alarms and intercoms all on the floors functioning?
- Have all these alarms been tested?
- Is there an evacuation plan posted on every floor? Is this plan communicated to every employee?
- Are all the employees aware of all the emergency phone numbers? Are these numbers available all through the building?
- Are the signs such as ‘Do Not Use Elevator in Fire/Flood Emergency’ and safety messages posted everywhere in legible writing?
- Have all the fire extinguishers been serviced and refilled?
- Is the sprinkler system in place and operational?
- Are there buckets of mud at every floor?
- When were the smoke and heat alarms last tested?
- Has the no smoking policy been enforced in the office premises? Is everyone following it?
- Are all the employees reminded regularly not to carry combustibles or inflammable items within the office premises?
- Are the inflammable items, required in the office (such as chemicals) stored properly?
- Is there any part of the office that is experiencing overheating, leakages or a wiring disruption?
- Are the furnaces and chimneys checked regularly for any dysfunctions?
- Is the wiring checked regularly for any faults it may have developed? When was the last time it was checked?
- Has a licensed electrician checked all the wiring in the office?
- Are there any signs of blown fuses, broken circuits or worn out insulation?
- Does the cooking area or the pantry area have good ventilation?
- Has the grease in these areas cleaned regularly?
- Are the water heaters, coolers and boilers regularly serviced? When were they last serviced?
- Are there any incidences of water, steam, oil leakages noted?
- Have maintenance contracts with air conditioning companies renewed?
- Is the parking well maintained?
- Is there any oil spillage on the ground?
- Is it well-lit?
- Does it have adequate space?
- Are the exits well-defined?
- Is the exterior premise of the office well maintained?
- Have the lawns been mowed?
- Are the pathways lit and well cobbled?
- Has the ice defrosted or removed from the pathways?
- Are all the additional facilities for the employees such as swimming pool, tennis courts and gymnasiums well maintained?
- Do they prescribe to the safety guidelines?
This was a safety checklist that most companies use.
by Mukta Gaikwad.